Does ground wire replace a voltage stabilizer?

I answered this SE EE question yesterday. Here is my answer.

Despite the remarks, there is still something rational in the OP's question and I will try to use it to explain in the simplest possible way the idea of ​​a shunt voltage stabilizer...

Current-to-voltage converter

As OP has noticed, using just one resistor of resistance R with current I flowing through it, we can create a voltage V = R.I (Ohm's law). This resistor can be (and usually is) connected to ground ("grounded"... or "pull-down"). If the ground wire has any resistance, we might think of it as a resistor... but it gets pretty complicated; so let's separate the resistor from ground.

When the current changes, the voltage will also change in proportion to the current. This device is very useful and has many applications...

Voltage stabilizer

... but in other cases we (and the OP) want the voltage to not change when the current varies. How do we achieve this?

Let's give the floor to OP

I am going to pause my story here to give the OP a chance to think and find the solution... which will help them later to understand how a Zener stabilizer works…

So, the question is:

What should we do so that when the current I increases, for example, the voltage V = R.I does not change?

Hint: R may not be constant...

Another hint: R may be varying...

(to be continued)

Comments